Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dreaming


I am a dreamer. 

On Sunday there was a raccoon in our garage. True story (and believe me, I wish it wasn’t haha). We had to take everything out of the garage to find the raccoon and get it out because those things are scary creatures and because Riley resides directly above the garage and could hear it scratching all night. 

We live in Kentucky and have problems like coons being the garage (and I say that in my hillbilliest of accents). When I was in Japan and someone asked where I was from, they undoubtly knew where to Kentucky was thanks to Colonel Sanders; Kentucky Fried Chickens are frequent there. 


So after we got the coon out and started to put things back into the garage. I had a gathering of clothes and was trying to hang them onto one of many very large nail we have that. I kept trying even though it wasn’t really working because I’m short and the fact that there were just way too many hangers to fit on the nail and the weight of it was too much. They were nice clothes though and I didn’t just want to lay them down and there was nowhere else to hang them. My husband’s step father was helping us caring stuff back in and I guess he asked my husband what I was doing, when my husband replied (he had already told me it wasn’t going to work), “She thinks she can get those clothes on that nail, and when she gets an idea in her head, she doesn’t stop until she does it.”

And I replied, “So?! I don’t think that’s a bad quality to have!” 

I got the clothes on the damn nail, thank-you-very-much, but then the nail fell out of the wall. 

Regardless of what happened I was very pleased that my husband perceives me as a do’er, a go getter, a dreamer, someone that doesn’t give up. I think that’s really great.  That’s exactly the person I hope to be, and the women I want to teach my girls to be. I want to teach them that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen. You have to be ready to have back up plans, jump hurdles, shed a few tears, pick up a pile of clothes and hammer a nail back into the wall, but almost anything is attainable as long as you work hard enough and possess enough determination. 

There are things in life that I look back on and think wow, I did that. I have no idea how, but I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and did it. Like the semester I got through pregnant with Raigan, or the one I got through right after I had Raigan when I was pumping in my car before I had to go to clinical. That was the same semester that people without any children at all that didn’t even hold jobs at the time couldn’t pass but I did.  The fact that we bought our house so young and overcoming obstacles or one of my girls awesome parties that I planned and threw during craziest of times in our lives. I think being a mother gives you this crazy superpower trait that allows you to go beyond and do things that you didn’t think you were capable of doing. It forces you to be creative and gives you a driving force that is incomparable to anything else. 

It’s a pretty neat that I got two beautiful girls and this motivation as a bonus.  There are lots more things I want to do in my life and things I want to be better at. I spent a lot of time traveling on my way home from Japan and after reading the book, The Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin I made myself a list of all the things that would make me  happy and things that would make me happy if I was better at. I hope to implement a few of those things with the upcoming school year that starts next Monday, perhaps I'll share some of those soon, because sometimes telling others holds one more accountable, but in the meantime...

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
 Mary Oliver


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails