Thursday, August 19, 2010

Avocado & Banana


Avocados are nutritionally dense and have 20! essential nutrients and they taste like a thick creamy butter. I mean could there be any better food? They are full of healthy fats that keep our bad cholesterol down and our good up! When I was younger I had no idea what an avocado even was, and just found out 6 months ago that it was a fruit, who knew? I've been missing out though, I know that.



I got the following nutritional information from http://www.avocado.org

Do avocados offer nutrients beneficial to babies?

Avocados can be an important part of your baby's growth and development. Fresh avocados are sodium and cholesterol-free. They contribute valuable nutrients including 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for folate; 4% DV for fiber and potassium, 4% DV for vitamin E; and 2% DV for iron. A serving of avocado also contains 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene. One serving also contains 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain.




Not only are avocados nutritionally great for babies, they are a great first food for babies and mom's too! They are soft and creamy with no cooking involved- all you have to do is peel them and mush/cut them up. When Raigan was just starting solids I would smash the chunks up very well, but now that she sports two teeth and gums food like a champ, I just slice them and she uses her pincer grasp to feed herself. Makes breakfast time super easy.



Bananas are another great first food for baby and so easy too. I love buying baby food, but jared bananas are just gross, they don't even taste, look, or smell like the real deal. Again, like an avocado, you just peel, mash, and serve. Raigan LOVES bananas, but who doesn't?

Bananas are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and B6. They are low in sodium, saturated fats, and have no cholesterol. Oh, and they taste great!



Raigan seems to think so anyway. Oh, and these foods are great for toddlers too! The Go Gurt isn't the  super healthiest choice, but life's a compromise right?

3 comments:

  1. yummy! I do love avocados! When my kids were babies I never thought to feed them avocados, but I would if I had a baby now...so soft, not a choking hazard, so that is good! For Mommy...try a splash of lime juice, and a dash of salt and pepper...I love it that way. P.S. I love the photos of your baby's little fingers in the mushy food and her cute little p. j.'s. So darn sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from blog frog. Super cute blog, it's so funny that happens to be my sons favorite food and that is exactly what he looks like too. LOL Hope you'll stop by and follow and baby makes three...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love this entry! Mason will be starting solids in a few weeks and I knew about bananas, but I wasn't up on the goodness of avocados! Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails